How to Prepare for X-Rays
- If there is a possibility that you may be pregnant please contact the physician or inform the X-ray technician before the X-ray immediately. No preparation is needed.
Upper gastro intestinal tract series and small bowel follow through
Morning Appointment – Nothing to drink and eat after midnight
Afternoon Appointment – Eat a light breakfast (no eggs or dairy products). Eat nothing after breakfast.
Barium Enema (Large Bowel X-ray)
- Start preparation on the day before the examination;
Clear fluid diet only (clear fruit juice, bouillon, tea, jello. No cream or fruit) for breakfast. Lunch, supper and in-between drink lots of water. The total fluid intake should be at least 6 – 8 ounce glasses. At 6pm take ½ bottle of Magnesium Citrate if no results by 8:00pm take the remaining 6 oz. and 2 Ducolax tablets with 2 glasses of water.
- On the morning of the exam;
Use a Ducolax rectal suppository (unwrap and insert in rectum) if desired, a glass of clear fluid is allowed. Be sure to drink all fluid specified.
- On the day of the examination after showering, do not use deodorant, antiperspirant or talcum powder under the arms or on the chest, as these particles may show up on the mammogram. Please wear a 2-piece outfit for your comfort.
Bone Mineral Densitometry
- No preparation needed
How to Prepare For Ultrasounds
- Purchase a FLEET ENEMA from a pharmacy. Follow the instructions in the package. Take the ENEMA two hours before the appointment time.
- Drink 4 large glasses (1 litre) of water 1 hour before your appointment. Do NOT go to the washroom until after the examination is complete.
Drink 4 large glasses (1 litre) of water 1 hour before your appointment. Do NOT go to the washroom until after the examination is complete.
Includes studies of the GALL BLADDER, PANCREAS, SPLEEN, LIVER, KIDNEYS, and AORTA:
Morning appointment (before 1pm): No solid foods or liquids after midnight. We require you to have an empty stomach.
Afternoon appointment (after 1pm) – You may eat a light breakfast (dry toast, black tea or coffee, juice) before 8:00am. No dairy products. Do not eat lunch, as we require you to have an empty stomach.
Pelvis or Obstetrical
You must drink 4 glasses (1 litre) of water. You must have completed drinking the water 1 hour before your appointment. Do not go to the washroom as you must have a full bladder for this examination. You may eat regularly.
You must have a full bladder. You must have completed drinking 32 oz/1 litre (four large glasses of water) 1 hour before your appointment. Take two Advil 1 hour before your appointment. Please bring with you a sanitary pad. Exam is to be done 10 days after your menstrual cycle.